We got another letter from Jr last week before vacation. Here are some excerpts:
June 23rd
****"Dad, I got your letter. Ive sent 2 so far but my RDC's (recruit drill commanders) said that the Navy's mail system is the slowest out of all the branches. Things have been kinda slow lately. We're on our 2-3 day (week 2 day 3). The first week I was here didn't count.
I signed up to be a Bone Marrow Donor. I don't have to do it though. They take you to Missouri I think. IDK (I don"t know).
Five people got sent home because of medical issues. This kid got sent home because he almost died during our PFA (personnel functionality assessment?). And a few days ago during the running part of the PFA he dropped and it looked like he was having a seizure. He had to go to hospital. When he came back he said they told him he wasn't getting enough oxygen to his brain. Then about 4 days ago he dropped again for no reason in our compartment. Another guy passed out during chow because he was choking on food. He tried to eat regular food after getting his wisdom teeth pulled. Another kid fell out of his top bunk and dislocated his shoulder. I saw it happen because his bunk is right next to mine!
I found out that my division is a 'grad and go' (they immediately go on to their 'A' school after graduation), but I should go to A-school right across the street (at Great Lakes).
I've spent 2 nights on this letter, for some reason one of my RDC's are letting us write letters now. It's 9:15 pm and we're about to IT (intensive training). It sucks, we're going to bed wet tonight.
I heard Michael Jackson died today! That's crazy! My RDC wont tell me what happened though, so you gotta tell my why he died. Oh, send me a paper in the mail, please. Or just tell me everything that's happening. It's so dumb we gotta IT. We got 7 minutes left, we already did PT (physical training) today. I'm so tired. We gotta do it because these 2 kids got us a compartment hit. They messed up the watch log. So thats 100 push-ups. And another kid got a demerit because he was marching wrong.
Well it's one night later.... nothing happened. Well almost nothing.. We had an IT session this morning because we took 30min to brush our teeth, shave and dress. We shave everyday. We had 15 minutes, but it took all 83 of us 30 min. But oh well. IT only sucks while you're doing it.
We went to classifications today... I got stuck with HT (hull technician) as my job. I do alot of welding, electrical, HVAC, and plumbing. Not what I wanted as my top choice. They said I could pick my job but that was a lie, and I might not get my bonus. My school is here, its 12 weeks long. I get free college, all 4 years. So if I decide I like what I do in the Navy then Ill get my business degree or whatever and maybe start a business with you.
They said I can change my job in 2 years, I kinda want to switch to SEABEES or Corman. My best friend here is going into the SEABEES as an Electrician. Both jobs work with the Marines. We've been handling guns, well just a 9mm (for now). Boot Camp is boring now, I know how to do everything. I just want to go to my A-school ... I'm sick of this place...LOL
Oh and those showers... we get 12 min for 40 of us to shower. There's 12 shower heads. We get 3 min for all 40 of us to use the washroom.. there are 18 stalls. Our racks are about 3 ft wide and about 6ft long! LOL I haven't gone to church yet, I've been too busy, I promise I'll go though." ****
We all (Brad, Melissa, Ryan, and Rebecca)wrote back to him and sent a News Paper also. Its great to hear from him. There is excitement when we check the mailbox. Especially later in the week as they usually write on Sundays.
Monday, July 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment